Good Morning, Nigeria, Welcome To Naija News Roundup Of Top Newspaper Headlines In Nigeria For Today Tuesday, 5th May 2020
The Federal Government of Nigeria under the leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari has on Monday, May 4 received the Three-Hundred-And-Twelve-Million Dollars ($312m) Abacha loot from the United States.
The development was disclosed in a statement on Monday by Umar Gwandu, spokesperson to Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, who noted that the $311,797,866 of the Abacha loot has been delivered to the Nigerian government.
The Federal High Court in Lagos has awarded N1m against the Federal Government over the police disruption of the August 5, 2019 #RevolutionNow protest.
The court awarded the N1m in favour of a Lagos-based lawyer, Olukoya Ogungbeje, who said he participated in the protest and was among those tear-gassed by security agents.
The government of Lagos State, led by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, says some offices and businesses would remain closed despite the gradual easing of the COVID-19 lockdown ease in the state which begins from Monday, May 4, 2020.
Naija News reports that the Lagos State Governor said: “It is a gradual and controlled easing of the lockdown. We will continue to monitor the public health situation; the economic impact of the lockdown and always adjust our responses accordingly.
The Lagos State government led by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has discharged fourteen coronavirus patients.
Naija News reports that the fourteen coronavirus patients in Lagos were discharged from isolation centres in Lagos State, Nigeria’s commercial city on Monday, May 4.
The Bayelsa State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Abuja has nuliffied the application filed by the Deputy Governor, Lawrence Ewrujakpor.
Naija News understands that the application was dismissed by the tribunal which sought to bar the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), the first respondent, from producing the alleged forged documents submitted to it by the deputy governor, 4th respondent.
Justice Inyang Ekwo of the Federal High Court in Abuja has adjourned the fraudulent case of Nigeria’s ex Supervising Minister of Labour, Kabiru Tanimu Turaki in the last administration till June next month
Naija News understands that the Economic Financial Crimes Commission dragged the former minister before the court earlier on a 16-count charge.
Nigerians abroad can now start expressing high hopes of coming home becoming a reality as the federal government prepares to bring as many citizens abroad to the country this week.
Naija News understands that the Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abike Dabiri-Erewa, announced that the planned evacuation of Nigerians from the United Arab Emirates (UAE), United Kingdom, the United States of America (USA) amongst other countries will begin this week.
A former aide to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, Reno Omokri has reacted to the death of three Northern Emirs within six days.
According to Omokri, he feared that a lot of ordinary persons may be dying on a regular basis and are not been reported.
The struggle for daily survival is one main task for an average Nigerian man or woman and the population of this West African country keeps growing daily.
However, the poverty rate in the country has continually grown with almost 100 million people living on less than $1 a day.
The Chinese Embassy in Nigeria has in a recent statement stated that it was unfortunate that the global pandemic, Coronavirus emanated from Wuhan in China, noting that the country was just a victim of the COVID-19 which its described as a common enemy to mankind.
The country, however, urged the international community to avoid the blame game and consider pulling hands together to fight the pandemic.
That’s the top Nigerian newspaper headlines for today. Read more Nigerian news on Naija News. See you again tomorrow.